This Chinese Chicken Congee recipe is a must, basic ingredients that’s simply delicious! Easy to make, it’s great for winter or when you need some comfort food. A bowl of congee is just like a warm hug, the rich chicken broth, the broken down rice that turns into a thick soup. And the cherry on top, the toppings: shredded chicken, green onions, ginger, sesame oil and some chilli oil brings everything together.
What is congee? It is a rice porridge/soup it is cooked and simmered long enough to break down the rice into smaller bits. The slow cooking allows the rice to absorb the delicious flavour of chicken broth. You can make a lot with very little!
Making your own homemade broth can sound daunting. What if we told you that all you have to do is put all ingredients in one pot, let it simmer and ta-da! You can definitely use bouillon cubes/chicken stock if you’re running low on time. However it will make a world of difference making your own broth. A great tip is to prepare your broth in advance and freeze it until you’re ready to use it. This Chinese Chicken Congee recipe, gives you easy steps on making your broth first and then moving on to make the congee.
Rice: Using jasmine rice would be the best for a great silky smooth congee. It is more starchy and breaks down more easily. However if you do not have jasmine you may use any kind of rice even basmati rice. The cooking time might differ and you’ll have to adjust it maybe to cook a little longer.
And for other Asian inspired dishes click here.
Chinese Chicken CongeeCourse: HangryDifficulty: Easy
- Chicken Broth
1 big white onion (peeled and cut in half)
4 carrots (peeled and cut in half)
1 tbsp pepper seeds
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of green onions sprigs (the white part)
8 chicken drumsticks
1 cup of jasmine rice would be best but you can also use any rice (using a rice cup)
Your Homemade chicken broth + 10 cups of water (you might have to adjust this as it cooks down adding more or less depending on the thickness you prefer)
Green onions cut into 1.5inch long strands and place in a bowl of cold water with ice this will curl up your green onion strands
1 inch piece of chopped ginger (thin sticks)
Shredded chicken from the drumsticks you used in the chicken broth
- Optional toppings
Drizzle some sesame oil
Drizzle chilli oil
Drizzle soya sauce
- Chicken Broth
- In a big pot bring 2.5L of water to a boil. Then add in all the ingredients
- Bring to low-medium heat and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and removing the brown foam looking impurities at the surface
- Once done remove the chicken and set aside to shred and use as congee topping
- Using a sieve remove all the chunks from the broth to get a clear broth
- And there you have it! Your homemade chicken broth!
- Bring broth with added water to a boil and add the rice
- Set heat to medium/high and let simmer for 1 hr to 1.5hrs stirring occasianally so the rice does not burn at the bottom of the pot
- Depending on your stove and rice you may need to add more water as it boils down to make sure the congee doesn’t dry out
- You should end up with the rice soft and broken-down and a thick porridge like mixture
- Plate-up & add toppings
- Serve an individual bowl size or large bowl for sharing of the congee
- As toppings, top the congee with green onions cut into 1.5inch long strands, chopped ginger (thin sticks) and the shredded chicken from the drumsticks